Polar Museums Network
The Fram Museum,
Oslo – Norway
21 – 23 October 2016
Lic. Carlos Pedro Vairo, director of the Maritime Museum of Ushuaia, presented his work on October 23 at the Polar Museums Network.
The presentations were two: "The Antarctic Museum of Ushuaia José María Sobral and its investigations" and "Collaboration between Museums: Naval Museum of the Nation, Asoc Ice Lady Patagonia and the Maritime Museum of Ushuaia in its Antarctic campaigns and exhibition in the Canary Islands, Lisbon and Bilbao ".
In representation of the Province of Tierra del Fuego signed the integration to this network.
It should be noted that he was the only representative of Latin America, before a present public of English, Norwegians, Scots, Swedes, and Italians, among other nationalities.
The Polar Museums Network (PMN) is a new initiative to strengthen and spread the knowledge of polar history, science and exploration. The PMN includes museums/institutions, as defined by the statutes of ICOM, which deal with the polar regions. Membership of the PMN is also open to all persons and institutions evidencing an abiding interest in the collection, preservation, research and interpretation of polar artefacts.
The aims of the PMN are to:
- Foster greater international collaboration amongst polar museums.
- Strengthen competence through information sharing, meetings and temporary exchange of staff.
- Cooperate on exhibitions, research, outreach/learning, documentation and conservation.
- Organise meetings of network partners on an annual basis, the meeting place to circulate amongst partners.
- Promote the PMN as a resource in society.
- Promote exchange of information and ideas among partners.
- Spread knowledge and awareness and increase interest about the polar regions past, present and future.
Carlos Vairo, Antarctic Museum Ushuaia; Klover Geir, Fram Museum;
Hakan Jorikson, Grenna Museum; Aant Helzinga, University Gothenburg